The Gentle Art of Kumihimo
Saturday 27th, 28th April 2019
TOTAL COST OF £175
£90 deposit. Balance of £85 will be requested 8 weeks before class date
Kumihimo is the gentle art of Japanese Braidmaking. This introductory course for beginners and improvers covers the basic knowledge required for braiding on a Marudai. Those with experience can start the course as a re-cap, before moving on to new territory later in the workshop. Students have the option of learning on borrowed equipment or they can use the opportunity to become better acquainted with their own equipment.
The rhythmic movements of Kumihimo make the craft an aesthetic activity and the finished braids can be the perfect compliment to any textile craft. They can also be a feature in their own right, such as jewellery. Students will be able to produce a range of samples, with the option of continuing to finished items. The course will cover various aspects of the subject including the following-
1) Equipment-what, why and how.
2) Warp threads – what, why and how.
3) Working techniques-how to braid and improve ones style.
4) Braiding sequences – a variety of different structured braids and numerous patterns.
5) Pattern design – how to use the grid system to create your own designs
6) Finishing techniques – a range of fancy finishes including tassels.
Small class numbers allow for individual tuition, allowing students to progress at their own pace in which ever direction they please.
The classes will be held in Ottery St Mary
Times: 10.00am to 4.00 pm
Light lunch will be provided on both days.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.